The Kynett United Methodist Church holds the distinction of being the first year round church on Long Beach Island. It was organized on May 5, 1888, as the Methodist Episcopal Church of Beach Haven. Two years later a church was built on Beach Avenue between Centre and Second Streets. It was named Kynett Methodist Church. Dr. Alpha Jefferson Kynett, founder of the Board of Extension of the Methodist Episcopal Church, raised a permanent loan fund of over six million dollars, which assisted eleven thousand churches in getting started.
Palm Sunday 1932 the original church was destroyed by fire. August 15th that year the cornerstone of the present church was laid and services were resumed in the new building the following January. This new church was dedicated in August 1933 and it is from this date that we celebrate Anniversary Sunday.
The Parish House, formerly a Friends Meeting House built in 1882, was moved to the church property in 1908 and used as a library for the town. In 1929 the trustees of the library deeded this building to the Kynett Church.
The congregation continued to grow and more room was needed for the church school. A campaign to build was started and ground was broken for an addition in 1957. It was at this time that the chancel was changed to the south end of the church and the pews reversed. This allowed extra seating in the addition, which connected the church and parish house.
In 1961 the Church bought the lot across Beach Avenue from Centre Street to Second Street to supply a much needed parking lot.
The church engaged in project “Renovate in 88", which was completed for our 100th Anniversary celebration on May 1, 1988.